Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why I Love My Job

I was running late tonight at work for a variety of reasons that were not of my doing, but I was left with a choice at 8:03pm. I could either help my last "assignment" (aka-"darling, sweet 96 year old woman") to bed or I could pass her off to the aide working her hallway and go home 3 minutes late vs. 30 minutes late. Either option was my call. I almost let the other aide help her to bed, but then I asked her a question... (all names have been changed for privacy reasons)

"Doris, would you like to go to bed?"

"No,I don't think yet. It's still early."

"Okay, that's fine. I just wanted to give you a choice, because I have you on my list tonight, but it's time for me to go home. If you'd like to go to bed I'm happy to stay and help you, but if you'd like to stay awake I'll let Susie know and she'll help you get to bed later tonight."

"Oh, in that case I'd like you to help me if that's okay."

"Of course it's okay. I'm happy to help you."

"You're always so cheerful and happy and it makes me happy to be in your company."

Did I mention I love Doris? Really. She's a sweet woman who doesn't get nearly as many visitors as she should and who doesn't get a lot of conversation with others, because it takes her awhile to answer sometimes. But I love her.

You know why else I love her? She said she couldn't even tell I'd had three kids and she didn't think I was old enough to have them....because aren't I only 20? Awww....

It was a good choice I made. I'm glad I stayed and left smiling...late, but smiling and thankful that my job gives me plenty of exercise and the opportunity to make people smile and feel loved. That's a good thing.

Does that get me out of going to the gym?

*************************************************************************************

P.S. - My husband pointed out that the gymnastics center that our kids go to offers adult classes. HA! You first, honey.

No comments: