Friday, January 8, 2010

The Daily Bible

A friend had given me a copy of The Daily Bible by Guideposts. It's the New International Version of the Bible broken down into daily sections with insights and short explanations. Now, I admit that I have a hard time reading through The Bible from Genesis on through, mostly because the names and places and details confuse and confound me. But this book? Well, it makes it easier and enjoyable.

It's The Bible, don't get me wrong, but it has blurbs explaining why the names and places are important and why they were added. That helps me. A lot!

So, I've been reading every morning, faithfully, while I drink my first cup of coffee. I have learned a lot in the last eight days about the history of Abraham, God's covenants with Noah and Hagar, and the mercy that God showed to even the earliest of men. It's fascinating!

If you're searching for a way to get close to God and want to read through the Bible with a little insight and explanation, I highly recommend The Daily Bible. And I am forever grateful for the friend who so graciously brought it to me.

1 comment:

Marion said...

I have one also and you're right about it being easier to read and follow lineage. You have a good friend.