Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cardio with the Kiddos

The weatherman said that today was going to be a lovely, warm spring day, so I decided that instead of going to the gym this morning I'd take the kids to the park and let the older ones ride their bikes while I pushed the stroller. So, that's what we ended up doing.

The park where we go is relatively flat and has a loop that's about 3/4 of a mile. The boys eagerly strapped on their helmets and off we went. The baby had fallen asleep in the car, so I just hooked her car seat to the stroller instead of waking her. That alone added another 5 lbs. to the weight of the stroller.

I actually managed a light jog for most of the first loop without feeling like I needed an oxygen tank on my back. As we were going to start the second loop my youngest son decided that he didn't want to ride his bike anymore, but didn't want to walk either.

That left only one option.

Yep, that's right, I carried him. Carrying 45 lbs. of wiggling child on one's back while pushing a 20+ lb. stroller is not all that easy...especially when you're laughing for most of it! I ended up carrying him for about a half mile, but he kept slipping down and strangling me in the process, so down he went.

We finished off our loop for a total of 1.5 miles and headed for the play equipment, because the boys still had energy to burn. There was a nice, unoccupied bench right next to the slide that I claimed as my own since I did not have more energy to burn.

We had a blast, but the most exciting thing was that I could do it. 3 weeks ago I could barely walk down the block without feeling winded. Really. And today I carried a 43 lb. child on my back for a half-mile while laughing and pushing a stroller without being exhausted! THAT'S exciting!

The scale may not be going down as quickly as I want it to, but that's okay. I'm having a blast!

No comments: