Sunday, September 19, 2010

It's the Little Things.

I have three sick kids. Literally sick....drippy noses, coughs and fevers. They have shared their germs and while I usually encourage them to share, this is one of the areas that I never have to address. They share illnesses freely and without grumbling. Beggars cannot be choosers, I suppose.

Amidst the endless tissues and soup, I began to think about the things that make my day. Because, really, if there is ever a time when you need to be optimistic about life it's when your kids are wiping their noses on your shoulder. So, here ya' go....the little things that make my day...

  • New shower gel. Really. It's exciting.
  • Finishing work before midnight. It makes me feel very accomplished.
  • Remembering to set the timer to pre-program the coffee pot for the morning. It's delightful to wake up to coffee that's already made.
  • Hugs. Enough said.
  • Messages, emails, and phone calls just to say hi. I love to get them. Especially on days when I am home with 3 sick kiddos. Keeps me from going crazy. Just sayin'. Hint, hint, hint to all of you. =)
  • The smell of lilacs in spring, fresh cut grass in summer, apples in fall and pine in winter. The smell of sugar cookies is also a big one any time of the year.
  • Sheets that have been line dried. Perfect.
  • When my cell phone battery lasts longer than a few hours. Oy.
  • Naps. Need I say more?
  • Soft pretzels that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The trick, my friends, is to broil them for about 5-10 minutes in the toaster oven.
  • A nice, quiet shower where I don't have to keep an ear out for the kidlets. Bliss.

Like I said, it's the little things.

No comments: