Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rainy Days and Brownies.

Chocolate brownie in detail.Rainy days, those cold, dreary, gray kind of rainy days, always get to me. It's a good thing I don't live in the Pacific Northwest or Scotland (I have it on good authority, aka Tony, that it is almost constantly raining there). I'd need high doses of anti-depressants if I lived in either location, I think. Anyway, today was one of those days here.

Not only do those kinds of days call for long naps in the afternoon (yes, children, it's a requirement!), they also call for chocolate. Chocolate in the ooey-gooey brownie form. Thankfully, I homeschool and just happened to have chocolate brownie making as today's lesson. Not really, but it was a lovely excuse.

We actually ended up baking brownies and while they were cooking and cooling we created brownie books. Books complete with multiplication, division, and fraction practice. After all, how much of each ingredient would we need if we doubled or tripled or quadrupled the amount of brownies we were making? And no, "a heck of a lot" is not the right answer. Nice try though.

The boys also wrote about their love for brownies and focused on some key words. The oldest did an amazing job with his handwriting and writing down the recipe. A little brownie motivation works every time.

At the conclusion of the brownie book lessons, we topped it off with cold glasses of milk and warm, gooey brownies. That, of course, was the kids' favorite part. Who am I kidding....it was my favorite part too.

Darn you sweet tooth. And pants with elastic that are, oh, so forgiving.

Speaking of pants....time to switch the laundry. And then maybe, just maybe, I'll go to bed. Before 11. How exciting would that be?!



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Sue Barnfield said...

This IS my favourite blog evah!!!
The fact that 'chocolate brownies' was mentioned a zillion times made it so!

And to make it a full-blown, curriculum based educational lesson is a gift all of us could learn from ;)

You continue to be my hero !!!